The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery is the only certifying board exam devoted to examining a surgeon’s skill in cosmetic surgery of the face and body. It is an independent subspecialty board that examines and certifies physicians in general, facial and dermatological cosmetic surgery.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Spend a full year training exclusively and comprehensively in cosmetic surgery
- Perform a minimum of 300 individual cosmetic surgery procedures of the face, breast and body (recommended minimum requirement for plastic surgery residencies is only 55 cases)
- Receive additional in-depth training in non-surgical cosmetic procedures, including Botox & fillers, laser resurfacing, and skin care (plastic surgery residencies currently have no training requirements for these treatments)
- Perform and document an additional minimum set of cosmetic procedures following completion of 1-year fellowship
- Pass a comprehensive, rigorous 2-day oral and written exam covering all aspects of cosmetic surgery
For more information on the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, consult their web site at www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org.